I suggest you ...

Get 3rd party code online

I have code that is generic enough that others could use it, but there isn't a place to share code.

A sourceforge/launchpad/codeplex-like area (hosted by UW or just a special tag for UW Web Services projects at either site) would be great. A forum would allow for knowledge capture, collaboration, and deduplication of efforts.

9 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Zach LymZach Lym shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Zach LymZach Lym commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, as an informatics guy, I really hate forums. They are a crappy kludge of email BBS that don't surface the appropriate information. An immense amount of a new person's time is wasted searching for information and regular member's time is wasted answering questions that have already been asked.

GetSatisfaction has a really awesome (but expensive) workflow that surfaces answers to poster's questions before they are asked, etc. Even if it's not GSFN, a regular forum is only good for die-hards- so you might as well just create a separate Google group and QA site.

That being said, I also ran into weirdness recently with the course schema, the XML, the official spec, and the production code were different because of a bug in producing the XML sample. The documentation itself should have wiki functionality so those sorts of things can be noted.

I would go with GitHub because it will continue to evolve without UW leadership. It will also be more accessible to non-programmers.

Or, if there is a forum/cvs/git repo online, make it more obvious in the various portals and documentation areas.

Feedback and Knowledge Base